Hi everyone, just a quick update for now. Spent today snorkelling amidst the fishes and choral, visiting Koh Phi Phi Le -- where the film the Beach was, well, filmed -- and other such things on what they call a 'long boat' -- a traditional wooden boat. Got too much sun yet again, but c'est la vie. I hope to get some pics up soon, there's a bunch on the point-and-shoot camera although that battery is currently dead. And right now the mosquitos are really out and about so this is going to be short to help prevent malaria and dengue and such things (i'm at the wireless access point which is in an open air hut/office type place. All in all, things are well. It was great to be in the water today.
My best to you all,
Ryan.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We are planning to do a PADI Scuba diving certification in Koh Tao, but I was just wondering if it was worth the detour to go in Koh Phi Phi Le for a snorkel as well. Looking forward to see your pics, Take care!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are having a great time. Must feel good to have traded concrete and rain/snow for coral reefs and beaches.
ReplyDeleteHi Karl,
ReplyDeleteThe snorkelling was pretty good, and there are a number of dive shops around here, but it is very crowded. I hear amazing things about the Simian Islands, though, including 'live aboard' boat and scuba trips. I'm PADI certified and looking forward to diving, but I haven't done any here yet (I think I might wait until Vietnam where it might be less crowded). Koh Phi Phi Le snorkeling was nice, but no doubt there are better options...
Cheers, Ryan.
Ironically, there's a hockey tournament in 2 weeks in Bangkok : jogsports.com! ;) But if I were you, i'd stick to the beach as well!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip!
ReplyDeleteHey Karl,
ReplyDeleteI've done some more asking around, and people have said that Koh Tao is better for intro to scuba because it is not too tough in terms of the water and waves, but Ko Phi Phi has some better dive sites. Either way, it'd be a good time i bet : )
Cheers, Ryan.
Well, that fits perfectly with my plan of starting with Koh Tao for the PADI certificate, then moving towards Krabi, Raylay, Koh Phi Phi for some other dives, and then off to Phuket for a plane back to Bangkok. I'm sure looking forward to it, seeing your pics from Koh Phangan! Take care!
ReplyDeleteKarl